Not Quite Crawling

Hello! My son is 9 months old, and he is so curious. He’s been showing a lot of interest in wanting to crawl. However, he can put his little booty in the air, but doesn’t really know how to lift himself on his hands. He’s great at tummy time, and baring his weight on his forearms. He can also put his booty in the air and move like a little caterpillar, but this is makes it so his head is sliding. I’m not sure how to help him.

Hi @GennyC!! It sounds like your baby needs a bit of strengthening to hold that quadruped (all fours) position before he’s going to be able to take off. We often say “stability before mobility”.

Check out the first activity in this reel-if you can position him this way and have him play like this for a while each day, it will help build endurance in his shoulders and hips

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CV3v_dKgGYm/?utm_medium=copy_link

Also, check out the second video in this post- you can also support him by using your legs to stabilize him on both sides of his hips while he plays-weight shifting to one arm while using the other arm to play shows excellent progress!

Let us know if these tips are useful :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I’m just going to add our blog about the important of crawling-helping your son gain the skills needed for crawling will have long lasting effects!!!

I would also recommend having toys on various heights. This will encourage him to push up to reach for them. Step stools and diaper boxes are great for this. Also take the cushions off your couch and use those on the ground. It can encourage early climbing which also encourages more arm use. Check out our Developmental Milestone round up with lots of blogs as well as youtube playlists for each skill. Go to the crawling section! Let me know if you have questions!

1 Like