Low tone and behavioral/social issues

My almost 5 year old has low tone and has been in OT for a year now. We have seen improvements with his fine and gross
Motor skills and endurance/ strength. We have recently had some behavioral challenges at home and they are now happening at school. Not listening, tantrums, hitting and biting younger sibling, lots of silly behavior, not knowing when to tone down silly behavior, annoying friends at school etc. do you see behavior issues in low tone kids and if so, how can i support him/help him with these new issues. Thanks!

2 Likes

Hey there, welcome! I’m glad you’ve seen some improvements with his overall strength and endurance! Those are all important aspects to learning how to compensate for lower tone. Low tone doesn’t necessarily equal behavioral challenges. Has his OT ever identified any difficulties with sensory processing? Sensory processing difficulties can cause dysregulation, which present similarly to many of the things you mentioned?

I’m also going to tag @Drkarenweiss to see if she also has any tips. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Momo1230!
I agree with Mary- low tone doesn’t necessarily overlap with the behavioral problems that you’re describing. I would handle these behaviors the way that I would with any kid his age. I highly recommend the Big Little Feelings parenting course, and the book “how to talk so your kids will listen.” If you’re finding that it’s tough to resolve the behaviors on your own, I would check in with a parenting professional (psychologist or social worker who works with kids, parents and families) to help navigate these behaviors. Good luck!

3 Likes

How to Talk so Your Kids will Listen changed the way I think about parenting. I highly recommend it

2 Likes

Hi there! Mom of a daughter with sensory processing disorder and seeing similar behaviors. OT and a child psychologist is helping to regulate her sensory system and give her tools to self-regulate/manage some big emotions. Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thanks everyone so much!