Activities

Hi everyone! I’m currently looking for activities to do with my 8.5month son. Would appreciate any suggestions thrown my way. Currently he’s met his quadruped crawling as well as standing up.

Any suggestions to practice his pincer grasp or speech developments? Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi there!

Great question! Free play is always the priority and many times the most therapeutic “toys” may be items you already have around the house! For 8-9 month olds, you can give safe kitchen time such as rubber spatulas, plastic serving spoons, cups, and bowls. They also always seem to like empty plastic water bottles to squish and squeeze. In terms of facilitating a pincer grasp (9-12 months), I love to use painter’s tape. With your close supervision place some pieces of tape on the high chair with an end lifted. This will challenge your little one to use the pincer grasp to remove that tape.

Feeding is also another way to functionally target the pincer grasp. Foods like puffs are the perfect size!

Here’s also a toy that I like that can be found on Amazon!

He’s got toys that he usually just puts in his mouth. His current toy rotation includes books, rattles, blocks, a standing table and even some balls. Are these okay? Trying to encourage him to explore the textures and play with the toys

Funny you mentioned the tape because he just started peeling of a sticker from the table today LOL!

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions Mary :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s pretty typical for 8 month olds to explore with their mouths and since the tongue is covered in tactile receptors, it’s usually one of the first ways that babies explore, even before they skillfully use their hands! So as long as it’s safe, it’s ok :slight_smile:

Yes, I like everything that you mentioned, and stickers are also a great option! Just make sure you/re closely watching so he doesn’t put those in his mouth.

Let us know how it goes!

Feel free to download our 7 senses in 7 Days activity packet for some additional play ideas :slight_smile:

Hi, Here is our activity round up that is labeled by skill level. Hopefully some of these will work for you! I also really like just letting them explore over different heights and terrains. Almost like baby obstacle courses!

1 Like