11 month old expert army crawler

Hi everyone!

I have a 1 year old toddler as of 12/31/20 (11 month old adjusted as of 1/9/22) who is an expert symmetrical army crawler. He began army crawling at the end of October but has yet to make the transition to 4 point crawling!

He will maintain the quadruped position while playing but will not crawl in it. He gets into and out of sitting on hands and knees but goes directly to his belly to move. He will also get into hands and knees to climb over obstacles and up stairs; he’ll play in kneeling, half kneeling, and when positioned behind an object like a couch cushion or laundry basket, he’ll push it with his hands and move on his knees to keep up (although, now he prefers to stand to push it).

As for other gross motor skills, he’s pulling and pushing to stand, cursing, standing independently for almost a minute, walking with a push toy, walking when we hold his hands, and while standing he’s transferring between surfaces (like between a couch and coffee table) independently.

At this point, he is much more interested in standing and walking than crawling. We continue to incorporate hands and knees play, crawling over obstacles, crawling up stairs, and kneeling play but seeing how he’s become an expert army crawler has he progressed past the point of hands and knees crawling? Since he prefers to stand and try walking, should we focus more on that?

1 Like

I think it’s great that you are incorporating all the crawling play in. As for pushing standing and walking I say if he is doing it on his own then that’s great, don’t stop him but I wouldn’t ‘make’ him do it. I would keep focusing on the crawling play because he will develop a great foundation that will carry over. Even if he doesn’t use hands and knees crawling as his primary mobility. I often take kids who walked and never crawled back and do lots of crawling play. Hope that helps!

1 Like

Thank you for the information! And we are definitely not pushing him to walk, it’s all baby led!

1 Like

Great!! Keep us posted!

I absolutely agree with @Starfishtherapies We love to encourage crawling through play, even when kids are already walking. It seems like you’re doing all the right things! Please keep us posted!

1 Like

We have progress! Just today, when transitioning to crawling he will maintain the hands and knees position and take about 2-5 crawling steps in that position before reverting back to army crawling. However, if we keep a hand underneath his chest he will actually crawl on his hands and knees until we remove our hand. But our hand isn’t bearing any of his weight; he’s doing all the work, its almost like he needs a reminder to maintain the hands and knees position when crawling? Should we not do this or will this help him?

1 Like

Yes!!! Tactile cues to help build his endurance is totally fine. So proud to hear about this progress!!!

1 Like

We have progress! Just today, when transitioning to crawling he will maintain the hands and knees position and take about 2-5 crawling steps in that position before reverting back to army crawling. However, if we keep a hand underneath his chest he will actually crawl on his hands and knees until we remove our hand. But our hand isn’t bearing any of his weight; he’s doing all the work, its almost like he needs a reminder to maintain the hands and knees position when crawling? Should we not do this or will this help him?
[/quote]

2 Likes

Definitely give him tactile cues if it helps- especially if he’s doing the work! You can use a towel or pool noodle or equivalent under his chest to save your back! I suspect in a few weeks he’ll be creeping on hands- knees as his primary mobility to get around!

1 Like

Sorry this somehow popped up. Still learning how to use the platform!

You’re doing amazing!!

I agree that crawling play helps build core strength, coordination, and brain development. Neuro motor development for future skills!